Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Ukay-Ukay

Ukay-Ukay not only offers a wide variety of clothes of different brands, but also from different eras. 
Esguerra, 2010
Aww Ms. Geolette, I miss you big time! You are such an awesome OJT Boss

It`s been a while since I`ve ransacked shops, piles, and racks of secondhand clothing which is popularly known here in the Philippines as Ukay-Ukay [I am damn proud that I buy clothes from Ukay-Ukay, just cause, haha]. I`m too lazy to define it cause it reminds me so much of my college thesis "Ukay-Ukay in the City", which is a documentary btw. 

I used to dislike Ukay-Ukay or the thought of buying secondhand clothing from absolute strangers because the person who previously wore it might have had a disease of some sort or worse, came from a dead person. But come college, a close friend of mine introduced me to the whole Ukay-Ukay craze and I was fascinated with what Ukay-Ukay stores offer that it made me give it the benefit of the doubt. From then on, I continued to shop at Ukay-Ukay. It was a bit awkward at first cause I got super addicted to it, then I met Stephanie who was, like me and Bea, a fan of Ukay-Ukay shopping; and so the cash burning continued.

I`ve purchased so much from Ukay-Ukay and saved a lot of money from shopping there. I`ve also found amazing brands such as H&M and Cotton On from different Ukay stores. Baguio Ukay will forever be the best Ukay-Ukay haven for Ukay shoppers like me. But mind you, I do not shop in Ukay cause of brand hunting [truth be told and I`m not bragging, but I can afford branded items naman, so most def not my reason], it`s actually fun to just rummage through the racks and find unique clothes, cause honestly, it`s such a hassle to see people wear the same clothing as you, but oh well, life goes on. 
Maybe one day, I shall invite all my Ukay friends again and just go gaga over secondhand clothes. I will do a follow-up post on Ukay-Ukay tips. The documentary file size is just tooooo big for me to upload here or wherever.

Try it, don`t be scared, I guarantee you that you won`t be disappointed.


P.S.
Don`t forget to wash it before you wear it :p



0 comments:

Post a Comment